REQUEST FOR INDEPENDENT STUDY
Scholars who will be absent four (4) or more consecutive days may be eligible to participate in Independent Study. Independent Study allows a scholar to remain current in his/her studies and the Academy to retain a portion of its Average Daily Attendance (ADA) funding.
To request Independent Study please complete a Request for Independent Study and submit it to the office at least five (5) days in advance for approval.
Please complete and print one form for each scholar. (Forms can be found at the bottom of this page)
Independent Study will not be granted during:
- The first three weeks of school,
- The last three weeks of the academic year, or
- The final two weeks of each grading period (quarter).
INDEPENDENT STUDY PROCEDURE
The parent/scholar portions of the procedure below are marked in bold type.
- The front page of the Independent Study form must be filled out, signed by the scholar and parent/caregiver, and turned in to the office—not the teacher.
- The office staff will process paperwork and submit the agreement to your scholar’s teacher/advisor.
- The teacher/advisor will fill out the back page of the agreement and sign on the “teacher” line of the front page.
- On the last attended school day before the absence, the teacher will give the assigned work to the scholar to take with them during their absence. (Agreement will be signed by the teacher, scholar, and parent—dated before the absence begins.)
- The school registrar will note the days of the absence inform teachers and will not call home during the absence.
- The scholar completes their assigned work/learning during the absence.
- On the first day of their return to school, the parent/scholar must return the Independent Study Agreement with attached work to their teacher/advisor. The teacher will check completion of work, fill out the bottom section of the back page and return the Independent Study Agreement (with a work sample for each school subject of assignment) to the registrar for attendance purposes.
We understand that emergencies may arise and will do our best to accommodate reasonable requests for Independent Study.